Want to give your students repeated compare and contrast practice? This set of 32 print and digital task cards is a great way to reinforce this important reading concept using a short amount of text. Each task card has a high-interest, short fictional passage to give your students focused compare and contrast practice. The topics are interesting and mix in a bit of information, like comparing dolphins and sharks, snow cones and shaved ice, or tennis and pickleball, all in short, conversational form. You can use them for reading lessons, reading centers, partner practice, whole-class games, exit slips, and more!
This set includes:
32 Compare and Contrast Task Cards
2 Record Sheets – multiple-choice and open-ended questions
2 Answer Keys for multiple-choice and open-ended questions
Teacher Notes PDF with LINKS
***PLEASE NOTE: This task card set is also included in my Compare and Contrast Fiction Unit for 3rd – 5th Grades in print and digital:
Why you’ll love this resource:
- The task cards give your students concentrated practice comparing and contrasting, so students get multiple opportunities to identify similarities and differences in a single time frame.
- The digital version has 4 smaller sets of 8 and is self-grading in Google Forms™
- The task cards make a perfect activity for centers, whole-class, one on one, and more!
- Task cards seem less overwhelming than longer passages for many students.
- The task cards have a variety of engaging passages your students will enjoy!
- Students view task cards as more of a game, which makes them fun!
- It’s easy to turn the cards into an actual game or center by adding a tic-tac-toe on a whiteboard or by adding a board game like Sorry, Jenga, Chutes and Ladders, and more!
If you need more paired text resources, here are a few you might like:
PAIRED TEXTS: FICTION TO FICTION FOR 3RD – 5TH GRADES
PAIRED TEXTS: FICTION TO NONFICTION FOR 4TH – 6TH GRADES
Looking for some paired texts to take you through the seasons?
FALL PAIRED TEXTS: FICTION TO NONFICTION FOR 4TH – 6TH GRADES
WINTER PAIRED TEXTS: FICTION TO NONFICTION FOR 4TH – 6TH GRADES
SPRING PAIRED TEXTS: FICTION TO NONFICTION FOR 4TH – 6TH GRADES
PAIRED TEXTS BY THE SEASON BUNDLE: 4TH – 6TH GRADES
Thanks so much!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or one homeschool parent with his/her children. If you would like to share with others, please purchase an additional license.
This resource may not be placed on the internet (except on a password-protected website for students, like Google Classroom™), on a school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: [email protected].