This Fall Paired Texts unit in print and digital for Google Classroom™ (and other top educational platforms) targets reading comprehension using two different paired passages, (one fiction and one nonfiction) on the same autumn-themed topic. This packet is loaded with 8 passages (4 sets of paired texts) including 2 historical (pumpkins), 2 scientific (owls), 2 biographical (music), and 2 technical pieces (bats).
Each passage has comprehension questions for each text which target a variety of reading strategies including main idea, context clues, cause and effect, and more. There is also a vocabulary practice page for each set which includes Latin/Greek roots, synonym – antonym, matching, and more.
There is a double-sided paired text worksheet that asks questions requiring the student to refer to both texts, to analyze, and combine information to formulate answers. Plus three writing prompts (narrative, expository and persuasive) are included for each set. This resource is definitely academic, but contains lots of engaging, thematic topics your kids will enjoy!
This set includes: (print and digital)
8 Passages with a total of 4 paired texts. All of the passages have fall themes but none of them are focused on holidays.
The History of Pumpkin Pie
From Pumpkins to Pies
The Tawny Owl
Ludwig van Beethoven (for Classical Music Month in September or any time!)
Music in Our House
Planning for a Successful Bat House
Little Brown Bat
Vocabulary page for each set (total of 4)
Double-Sided Paired Text Questions for each set (total of 4 = 8 pages)
Narrative, Expository and Persuasive Writing Prompts for each set (total of 12 pages)
Venn Diagram Template
Teacher Notes for Digital with LINKS
Here are the other seasons included in the Paired Text by the Season Bundle:
Winter Paired Texts: Nonfiction to Fiction for 4th – 6th Grades
Spring Paired Texts: Nonfiction to Fiction for 4th – 6th Grades
Why you’ll love this resource:
- Everything you need for paired texts is ready in one place!
- The digital version is NO PREP and is easy to plan and assign to students!
- Students really enjoy reading the high interest passages!
- You’re able to use thematic materials which aren’t holiday based, but are still interesting and fun!
- Each passage has its own set of comprehension questions, in addition to the question pages which compare the two texts.
- Writing prompts allow you to integrate writing skills into these units.
- There are narrative, expository, and persuasive writing prompts for each paired passages. You can choose whichever one you’d like.
- The vocabulary component for each paired passage set is a great way to reinforce vocabulary.
If you’re looking for more paired texts, here are two sets you can use any time:
Paired Texts: Nonfiction to Fiction for 4th – 6th Grades
Paired Texts: Fiction to Fiction for 3rd – 5th Grades
I also like this Compare and Contrast Unit. It short paired texts with myths, folktales, and fables for 3rd – 5th grades:
Compare, Contrast and More for 3rd – 5th Graders
Thanks so much!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.