This Winter Paired Texts unit in print and digital for Google Classroom™ (and other top educational platforms) targets reading comprehension using two different paired passages, (one fiction and one nonfiction) on the same winter-themed (but nonholiday) topic. This packet is loaded with 8 passages (4 sets of paired texts) including 2 historical (Valley Forge), 2 scientific (snowshoe hare), 2 biographical (Roald Amundsen), and 2 technical pieces (sleds).
Each passage has comprehension questions for each text that target a variety of reading strategies including main idea, context clues, cause and effect, and more. There is also a vocabulary practice page for each set which includes Latin/Greek roots, synonym – antonym, matching, and more.
There is a double-sided paired text worksheet that asks questions requiring the student to refer to both texts, to analyze, and combine information to formulate answers. Plus three writing prompts (narrative, expository, and persuasive) are included for each set. This resource is definitely academic, but contains lots of engaging, thematic topics your kids will enjoy!
This set includes: (print and digital)
8 Passages with a total of 4 paired texts
Valley Forge: Letters of a Soldier
The Lion and the Hare (Fable from India)
Roald Amundsen: South Pole Explorer
Sleds and How They Work
My Dog Max
Vocabulary page for each set (total of 4)
Double-Sided Paired Text Questions for each set (total of 4 = 8 pages)
Narrative, Expository and Persuasive Writing Prompts for each set (total of 12 pages)
Teacher Notes for Digital with LINKS
SAVE MORE and GET MORE with the Paired Texts by the Season Bundle!
Besides this Winter Paired Texts Unit, it also includes these seasons:
Fall Paired Texts: Fiction to Nonfiction for 4th – 6th Grades
Spring Paired Texts: Nonfiction to Fiction for 4th – 6th Grades
Why you’ll love this resource:
- Everything you need for paired texts is ready in one place!
- This unit comes in both print and digital formats to give you more flexibility.
- Students really enjoy reading the high-interest passages!
- You’re able to use thematic materials that aren’t holiday based, but are still interesting and fun!
- Each passage has its own set of comprehension questions, in addition to the question pages which compare the two texts.
- The digital version is NO PREP and comes in Google Slides (or can be opened as a PowerPoint).
- There are narrative, expository, and persuasive writing prompts for each paired passages, so you can integrate writing skills into these units.
- The vocabulary component for each paired passage set is a great way to reinforce vocabulary.
If you’re looking for more paired texts, here are two that you can use at any time of the school year:
Paired Texts: Fiction to Nonfiction for 4th – 6th Grades
Paired Texts: Fiction to Fiction for 3rd – 5th Grades
I also like this Compare and Contrast Unit. It has short paired texts with lots of myths, folktales, and fables for 3rd – 5th grades:
Compare, Contrast and More for 3rd – 5th Grades
Thanks so much!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.
This resource may only be placed on a password-protected website for your students, like Google Classroom™. It may not be placed anywhere else on the internet, on a class or school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: [email protected].