This Cause and Effect Reading Assessment for 3rd grade includes both print and digital formats (in self-grading Google Forms) to give you valuable information to help drive instruction. The three Cause and Effect standard-based assessments ask students to read a short passage and identify causes and effects related to characters and events and to show comprehension of the sequence of the story.
These assessments are perfect if you’re looking to add consistent grades to your traditional grade book or looking for assessments that match your standards-based grading report card. Besides using them as formative and summative assessments to help you progress monitor reading comprehension, they can also be used for guided reading, independent practice, reading intervention, reading centers, spiral review, or test prep.
It includes: (Print and Digital)
3 Cause and Effect Standards-Based Assessments
Teacher Notes (including a How-To-Use Guide)
Teacher Notes PDF with LINKS
Bonus: ALL 3 passages (not questions) in Google Slides to help you differentiate
SAVE MORE and GET MORE with the Reading Assessment FICTION BUNDLE for 3rd Grade!!! (Click Here) This Bundle includes 10 sets of FICTION Assessments (for a total of 30 assessments) that are aligned to 3rd grade Reading Standards!
Want the BEST DEAL? The Standards-Based Reading Assessments FICTION and NONFICTION Bundle for 3rd Grade includes 10 sets of FICTION Assessments and 10 sets of NONFICTION Assessments (for a total of 60 assessments) that are aligned to 3rd grade Reading Standards!
Here are the assessment units included in the Reading Assessment FICTION BUNDLE for 3rd Grade!!!
Need NONFICTION assessments too?
Here are the assessment units included in the Reading Assessment NONFICTION BUNDLE for 3rd Grade!!!
Why you’ll love this resource:
- Everything is here! No more scrambling to find assessments to target this reading standard!
- The print and digital formats give you greater flexibility for use with your students.
- The digital assessments are NO PREP and are self-grading in Google Forms.
- The print version has a short passage and 5 questions on a single sheet of paper for easy printing.
- It makes it easy to collect data for traditional or for standards-based report cards!
- Google Slide decks (passages ONLY) are also included for all 3 passages. You may choose to use these passages to:
- Meet IEP and 504 requirements
- Highlight words or phrases for students
- Increase passage size and eliminate digital distraction for students
- Read the passage together (or to a small group) before assessing
- Add notes, task lists, or other helpful reminders to passages for students and more!
- These may be used in a number of ways from formative and summative assessments, to guided reading, reader’s workshop, independent work, literacy centers, test prep, and more!!!
- The assessments are Common Core Aligned but have no Common Core notations and coordinate well with a number of different sets of standards including TEKS and VSOL.
*** Please note, while there is not a specific “Cause and Effect” standard for Literature, I like to include this one as an extension of the Characters unit. This same skill is used in literature and in informational text.
This resource assesses the following: Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events. RL 3.3
Still not sure? Try this FREE Characters Standards-Based Assessment and see what you think!
Need another grade?
Looking for more 3rd Grade Reading Resources?
Kids LOVE these interactive Digital Reading Units!
Reading Games in print and digital formats make practicing reading skills fun!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.
To use digitally, this resource may be shared with a teacher’s students in a password-protected learning platform, like Google Classroom™. It may not be placed on a class/school website or district server or on any website that is visible to the public. Please email me if you have any questions: [email protected]