Do you ever find yourself a bit challenged to come up with meaningful reading questions on the spot? Do you want to make sure that you’re asking questions that are perfectly aligned to target those reading standards? This set of print and digital Question Stems can help! You’ll feel confident having a wide variety of effective questions right at your fingertips!
Please note…This resource includes Question Stems that cover ALL FICTION and NONFICTION reading standards for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade to help you differentiate. You can bring them with you if you happen to change grades too!
You’ll love the ready-to-use, NO PREP print and digital formats for these! In fact, there are 4 formats for all the Question Stems, plus reading response templates too!
- Print – Full Page (for reading lessons or spiral-bound reading journals)
- Print – Flip Book (half-page size for teacher or student reference)
- Print – Task Cards (for teacher reference, partner reading, or reading responses)
- Digital – Full Page, Flip Books, Task Cards (and Reading Response Templates)
The Question Stems can help take the stress out of reading lessons! Keep a set near your reading area or put the task cards on rings to make them easy to grab and go when working with students.
How can you use Question Stems?
- Reading Workshop/Guided Reading
- Reading Response for independent work or reading centers
- Partner Reading Activity – Quiz, Quiz, Trade
- Review reading concepts for whole-class, strategy groups, small groups, or one-to-one
- For parents who would like questions to reinforce concepts at home
This resource includes: (All in print and digital)
Question Stems in Full-Page Printables, Flip Books, and Task Cards
- 170+ Fiction and Nonfiction Question Stems for 3rd Grade
- 170+ Fiction and Nonfiction Question Stems for 4th Grade
- 170+ Fiction and Nonfiction Question Stems for 5th Grade
5 Reading Response Templates
- LINKS (on the PDF)
- How to Use This Resource Tips
SAVE THE MOST and GET THE MOST with the Reading Workshop: The Complete Kit! This resource is included, plus yearlong framework materials like graphic organizers, question stems, reading conference forms, reader’s notebook materials, and more! It also includes an entire month of mini-lessons about routines and expectations and reading comprehension strategies to launch your Reading Workshop successfully!
Why You’ll Love This Resource:
- You’ll have a set of meaningful questions for EVERY fiction and nonfiction reading standard for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades!
- This resource includes several formats to give busy teachers more flexibility.
- They are easy to use and the digital versions are NO PREP!
- You can use the question stems and the reading responses multiple times – simply change out the text.
- The question stems make it easy to differentiate. Each student reads at his/her own level but ALL students can use the same question stem. An alternative is to use similar but different question stems for students reading at different levels.
- The question stems have no “cutesy” clip art images, so they can be used with older students for review or intervention.
- There are so many ways to use this resource, to guide and reinforce guided reading and reader’s workshop lessons, for centers, assessments, review, intervention, and more!!!
Please note: While the question stems are aligned to Common Core standards, they will also work well with a number of other standards, including TEKS and VSOL.
Need more reading resources? I love using these anchor charts and graphic Organizers! They’re time-saving, standards-aligned, and are so versatile!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.
This resource may only be placed on a password-protected website for your students, like Google Classroom™. It may not be placed anywhere else on the internet, on a class or school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: [email protected].