Imagine finding a resource with everything you need to help your students write strong introduction paragraphs for opinion essays! This Introduction Paragraph Unit includes step-by-step lessons to target hooks (leads), topic sentences, and the three reasons to support that opinion. You’ll love using the easy-to-implement opinion writing lessons and activities.
No more spending hours prepping and planning opinion writing lessons. This explicit writing resource walks you through the introduction paragraph writing process, helping you feel confident and ready to tackle the writing block.
✅ WHAT’S INCLUDED ✅
• Opinion Writing – Introduction Posters
• What is Opinion Writing?
• Opinion Writing Structure
• Opinion Writing Concept Map (shows color coding)
• Thinking About Topics
• Stump the Experts Game Directions (Teacher Page)
• Opinion Writing Topics (for Stump the Experts Game or any time)
• Considering Topics: Note Page
• More Opinion Writing Topic Ideas
• The introduction – 2 pages (shows the hook, opinion, and reasons)
• Introduction: Hooks
• Name That Hook!
• One Topic Many Hooks
• Match the Hook to the Opinion – 2 pages
• Hook and Opinion Sort (cut and glue activity)
• Reasons (2 pages – one teaching page and one activity)
• Color Coding Review (Directions page and three color coding pages)
1. Benefits of Playing Chess
2. Beautiful Hawaii
3. Hermit Crabs as Pets
• Vocabulary Cards and Headings
• Teacher Notes PDF with LINKS and step-by-step, detailed teacher notes
⭐ SAVE MORE and GET MORE with the Opinion Writing Essay Bundle! ⭐
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Resource: ❤️
Comprehensive Coverage: Aligned to cover introduction paragraphs in opinion writing essays, this unit helps your students receive step-by-step writing practice in short, meaningful lessons to keep them engaged.
Two Formats: The print and digital formats give you greater teaching and learning options. You’ll have the freedom to use one or both formats to fit your classroom needs.
Teacher-Friendly Features: If teaching writing has ever made you feel anxious or overwhelmed, this resource can help! With ready-to-teach lessons that are easy to implement, you’ll feel confident as a writing teacher while saving hours of planning and prepping time.
➡️ ➡️ ➡️ This resource targets the following:
- CCSS W.3.1 Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons.
- CCSS W.4.1 Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information.
- CCSS W.5.1 Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information.
Looking for more opinion writing units? We’ve got you covered!
Do your students need more practice with basic paragraph writing?
You’ll LOVE this Complete Paragraph Writing Bundle. It includes explicit writing instruction for color coding and outlining, topic sentences, details, transitions, and conclusion sentences
⭐ Don’t forget to follow us by clicking the green star above. You’ll receive in app notifications when we post new resources!
Have a question? Reach out to us at: [email protected]
©The Teacher Next Door™
One purchase allows one teacher or homeschool parent to use this product in their own classroom. To share with others, please purchase an additional license.
Remember, this resource should only be placed on password-protected websites like Google Classroom™ or SeeSaw and not made available on public platforms or district servers.