Are you thinking about changing your reading instruction to a Reading Workshop model but aren’t sure where to start? Looking for a ready-made set of resources to jumpstart your reading program and help your students truly grow as readers? This Launching Reading Workshop resource comes in both print and digital and is LOADED with everything you need to organize and teach Reading Workshop for the first month and more!
Teaching reading isn’t always easy, but this set of Reading Workshop materials will help guide your reading lessons to introduce routines and expectations for the first two weeks, and 10 key comprehension strategies for the second two weeks. There are complete lesson plans, anchor charts, and graphic organizers for the first 20 days to save you time!
Besides resources for the first month, you’ll have so many helpful resources to take you through the rest of the year from reader’s notebook materials, to reading posters, pacing guides, reading response materials, and oodles of teacher and student charts, in full and half page sizes.
The Launching Reading Workshop set includes a variety of the following formats to give you greater flexibility.
- Print – Full Page (for reading lessons or spiral-bound reading journals)
- Print – Half-Page (to glue into composition sized reader’s notebooks)
- Editable – Selected items to allow you to customize
- Digital – Full Page (Google Slides or PPT)
This resource includes:
Quick Guide to Reading Workshop:
• Reading Workshop Overview
Lesson Plans and References:
• Lesson Plans for the First 4 Weeks
• Mini-Lesson Template (in full-page and editable)
• Reading Posters with Kid-Friendly Standards for 3rd grade (CCSS but no notations)
• Reading Posters with Kid-Friendly Standards for 4th grade (CCSS but no notations)
• Reading Posters with Kid-Friendly Standards for 5th grade (CCSS but no notations)
• Suggested Mentor Texts for Reading Comprehension Strategies
• Pacing Guides for 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grades (color, BW, and editable)
• Reader’s Notebook Student Covers (color, BW, in full and half-pages and editable)
• Teacher Binder Covers (color, BW, in full-page and editable)
• Reader’s Notebook Tabs (in PDF and editable)
• All About Me as a Reader (in full and half-page)
• Books I Plan to Read (in full and half-page)
• Reading Genres (in full and half-page)
• Reading Goals (in full, half-page, and editable)
• Reading Stamina Graph (in full, half-page, and editable)
• Record of Reading (in full and half-page)
Learning About Reading Workshop and Reading Comprehension Strategies:
• Anchor Charts (in full and half-pages)
• Anchor Charts – Notetaking version (in full and half-pages)
• Graphic Organizers (in full and half-pages)
Checking in – Accountability:
• Conferences With My Teacher (in full and half-pages)
• Status of the Class (in full-page and editable)
• Student Reflection (in full, half-page, and editable)
• Bookmarks for Reading Comprehension
• Question Stems for Reading Response (in full and half-pages)
• Question Stems for Reading Response Booklet (in color and BW)
• Reading Comprehension Task Card Question Stems:
1. Making Connections
2. Making Predictions
3. Making Inferences
6. Determining Importance
7. Monitoring Comprehension
• How to Write a Reading Response (in full and half-page)
• How to Write a Free Write (in full and half-page)
• How to Write a Stop, Think, and Jot Note (in full and half-page)
• Free Write Project Writing Page (in full and half-page)
• Reading Response (in full and half-page)
• My Reading Response (in full and half-page)
• Stop, Think, and Jot Notes (in full and half-page)
• Reading is Thinking (4 on a page)
• Book Recommendations Banners “Must-Read Books” and “Book
Recommendations” (color and BW)
• Must-Read Books (half-page)
• What are Book Talks? (in full and half-page)
• Currently Reading (one, two, or four on a page, and editable)
• Accountable Talk Flipbook (color and BW)
• Partner Reading Anchor Charts (in full and half-page)
• Talking About Books (in full and half-page)
- LINKS in the PDF “Quick Guide to Reading Workshop”
- How to Use This Resource
SAVE MORE and GET MORE with the Launching Reading Workshop Bundle! This resource is included as well as the Reading Conferences unit with yearlong record keeping and support materials for effective reading conference times!
SAVE THE MOST and GET THE MOST with the Reading Workshop: The Complete Kit! This resource is included, plus yearlong framework materials like anchor charts, graphic organizers, question stems, reader’s notebook materials, reading conference forms, and more!
Why You’ll Love This Resource:
- It will guide your Reading Workshop instruction with complete lesson plans, anchor charts, and graphic organizers for the first month.
- It has so many resources you can use for the rest of the year for a successful Reading Workshop!
- Everything is ready to print or to use digitally and the great majority is NO PREP!
- This resource includes so many different formats to give busy teachers more flexibility and choice!
- None of the resources have “cutesy” clip art images, so they can be used with older students for review or intervention.
- The file is separated into different sections, like “Quick Guide to Reading Workshop”, “Lesson Plans and References” and “Getting Started” (see subtitles above), so you can find what you need more easily.
Need more reading resources? I love having these ready-to-use anchor charts, graphic organizers, and question stems at my fingertips! Bonus…They include both print and digital formats!
Finally, if you like my work, I would love for you to follow me by clicking on the green star at the top of the page.
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.
This resource may only be placed on a password-protected website for your students, like Google Classroom™. It may not be placed anywhere else on the internet, on a class or school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: [email protected]