Looking for a way to help your students increase their vocabulary and improve their reading comprehension? Want to add meaningful upper elementary Science of Reading aligned vocabulary practice to your schedule but not sure where to start?
This Greek and Latin Vocabulary nine-week unit will help your 4th-grade students master unfamiliar words using a systematic, easy-to-use format. Each week you’ll introduce a new Greek or Latin morpheme with eight focus words (and 7 optional enrichment words) to provide short but consistent root and affix practice.
Here’s my suggested schedule:
Monday – Introduce the Greek and Latin Root or affix using an anchor chart, Students complete a practice page (print or digital)
Tuesday – Review the root or affix using vocabulary matching cards/word wall, and students complete a simple review (print or digital)
Wednesday – Students read a passage or poem with vocabulary words in context and answer questions or color-code
Thursday – This is a fun review day with a variety of easy-to-play games or activities (print for hands-on or digital for self-correcting)
Friday – A simple eleven-point quiz (similar to Monday’s practice page) can be given to assess student learning (print or digital)
Extra Activities – Want to switch something out? Several editable templates with pennants, vocabulary wheels, a circle word wheel, and puzzles can be used as desired. An end-of-the-unit “Shakespeare Words” enrichment activity is also included.
9 Anchor Charts with pictures, a definition, and word examples
Vocabulary Cards for Word Walls, Pocket Charts, or to use as a Matching Game
Practice Pages for an Introduction
Passages or Poems for each week
Games and Activities for a fun review
Answer Keys (print only – all Google Forms are self-correcting)
Detailed Teacher Notes
Greek and Latin Roots included in Unit 1:
com, pon, mono, mod, mit, port, fect, vers, cept
Want to SAVE MORE and GET MORE? Click here to see the YEARLONG Greek and Latin Vocabulary Bundle! It includes everything you need for 36 weeks of targeted, consistent vocabulary practice.
Why you’ll love this resource:
- This is an EASY and ORGANIZED way to help your students learn Greek and Latin roots and affixes to unlock lots of new words! In fact, about 75% of English words are created using Greek and Latin roots and affixes.
- This science of reading-aligned vocabulary practice includes BOTH print and digital formats, to give you more flexibility.
- The materials are easy to prep and organize. The digital version is NO PREP!
- Your students will thrive with this consistent format. Fewer questions and more targeted practice.
- Your students will enjoy playing the review games!
- The extra activities pages are editable, including the directions, so you can use these with ANY Greek or Latin root or affix.
- There are so many ways to use the vocabulary practice activities! Besides independent work, you can use them in centers, for whole class games, one on one work, exit slips, test prep, and more!!!
*** Still not sure? Click here to grab this FREE 4th grade Greek and Latin Vocabulary Sample Week!!! This print and digital freebie is an easy way to help your students master words with a “com” root!
*** Need another grade?
Looking for more Latin and Greek resources with a variety of roots and affixes? Here are a few print and digital games your students will love!
Thanks so very much!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.
This resource may only be placed on a password-protected website for your students, such as Google Classroom™. It may not be placed anywhere else on the internet, on a class or school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: [email protected].