Looking for a way to help your students increase their vocabulary and improve their reading comprehension? Want to add meaningful upper elementary Science of Reading aligned vocabulary practice to your schedule but not sure where to start? This FREE WEEK of Greek and Latin Vocabulary will help your 3rd-grade students master unfamiliar words using a systematic, easy-to-use format. This week focuses on the “re” morpheme with five key example words (and 10 optional enrichment words) to help you provide short but consistent root and affix practice.
Here’s my suggested schedule:
Monday – Introduce the Greek and Latin “re” prefix using an anchor chart. Students complete a practice page (print or digital)
Tuesday – Review the “re” prefix using vocabulary matching cards/word wall, and students complete a simple review (print or digital)
Wednesday – Students read a poem with “re” vocabulary words in context and color code to match word meanings as well as answer questions.
Thursday – This is a fun review day with an easy-to-play puzzle game (print for hands-on or digital for self-correcting)
Friday – A simple ten-point quiz (similar to Monday’s practice page) can be given to assess student learning (print or digital)
What’s included? (all in print and digital)
“Re” Anchor Charts with a picture, definition, and word examples
Vocabulary Cards for Word Walls, Pocket Charts, or to use as a Matching Game
Practice Page for an Introduction
A “Re” Poem
Puzzle Matching Game for a fun review
End of the Week Quiz/Assessment
Answer Keys (print only – all Google Forms are self-correcting)
Detailed Teacher Notes
Greek and Latin Prefix included in this freebie: “re”
Like what you see? This week one sample is also included in a very complete 9-week unit. Click here to see Greek and Latin Roots, Prefixes, and Suffixes Vocabulary Unit 1 for 3rd Grade
Want to SAVE MORE and GET MORE? Click here to see the YEARLONG Greek and Latin Vocabulary Bundle! It includes everything you need for 36 weeks of targeted, consistent vocabulary practice.
Why you’ll love the paid version of this resource:
- This is an EASY and ORGANIZED way to help your students learn Greek and Latin roots and affixes to unlock lots of new words! In fact, about 75% of English words are created using Greek and Latin roots and affixes.
- This science of reading-aligned vocabulary practice includes BOTH print and digital formats, to give you more flexibility.
- The materials are easy to prep and organize. The digital version is NO PREP!
- Your students will thrive with this consistent format. Fewer questions and more targeted practice.
- Your students will enjoy playing the review games!
- The extra activities pages are editable, including the directions, so you can use these with ANY Greek or Latin root or affix.
- There are so many ways to use the vocabulary practice activities! Besides independent work, you can use them in centers, for whole class games, one on one work, exit slips, test prep, and more!!!
*** Need another grade? The 4th and 5th grade Greek and Latin Vocabulary Units are coming soon in 2023!
Looking for more Latin and Greek resources with a variety of roots and affixes? Here are a few print and digital games your students will love!
Thanks so very much!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Downloading this free product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please provide them with the link to this freebie.
This resource may only be placed on a password-protected website for your students, like Google Classroom™. It may not be placed anywhere else on the internet, on a class or school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: [email protected]