Looking for a very complete, easy-to-teach Figurative Language Unit? This print and digital unit has everything you need to teach seven types of figurative language including idioms, metaphors, similes, hyperbole, alliteration, onomatopoeia, and personification!
You’ll love the time-saving unit with teaching pages, practice pages, a flipbook, 32 task cards, sorts, and posters! This set helps students truly understand figurative language. Perfect for ELL students, special education students, or for any students!
It includes: (Print and Digital)
Teaching Pages for Each Type of Figurative Language
3 Practice Pages for each Type of Figurative Language
A Mini-Flip Book
32 Figurative Language Review Task Cards (and record sheet)
32 School Idioms Task Cards
2 Figurative Language Reviews
10 Posters (A title poster, the 7 types of Figurative Language targeted in this set and two posters – Allusions and Proverbs posters which were made as a special request)
Teacher Notes for Digital with LINKS
Why you’ll love this resource:
- It includes a teaching page to help you introduce each type of figurative language.
- It comes in BOTH print and digital versions to give you greater flexibility!
- The Mini-Flip Book is perfect to use to reinforce learning after introducing each type of figurative language.
- The 10 posters are a great visual reference for students!
- The figurative language task cards are a fun way to review or to spiral learning after all of the figurative language types have been introduced.
- There’s a quiz included so you can easily assess student understanding.
- It may be used in a number of ways from guided reading, to reader’s workshop, independent work, literacy centers, exit slips, homework, whole class games, test prep, and more!!!
Also, I do want to suggest a great set of reading games that would go well with this reading unit. There is a game for EACH READING STANDARD!!! It comes in a set of 10 for fiction, a set of 10 for nonfiction, or a bundle of 20 reading games specifically for 4th and 5th grades!
10 Fiction Reading Games
10 Nonfiction Reading Games
20 Fiction and Nonfiction Reading Games Bundle
If you’d like to focus on idioms in particular, please take a peek at this deeply discounted 3 set bundle of task cards. With 96 task cards, your students will have lots of opportunities to learn a wide variety of idioms.
Figurative Language Task Card Bundle: Idioms
If you’re looking for more reading materials for 4th, and 5th grades, please check these out:
Main Ideas, Supporting Details and Summary
Cause and Effect from Informational Text
Text Evidence Using Informational Text
Characters, Settings, and Events
Themes in Literature
Elements of Poetry, Drama, and Prose
Thanks so much!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.
This resource may only be placed on a password-protected website for your students, like Google Classroom™. It may not be placed anywhere else on the internet, on a class or school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: [email protected].
There are no reviews yet.