Here’s what is included in this month long unit: (Print and Digital)
4 Character Traits Posters (One colorful and one BW for both kindness and caring)
4 Character Awards (One colorful and one BW for both kindness and caring)
Mentor Texts List (lots of books that teach kindness lessons)
Self-Reflection Quiz (Kids can privately assess how they are doing with this character trait)
Activity Pages (Comprehension Questions for Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch, as well as an art project and other activities focusing on kindness)
Random Acts of Kindness Journal (with Teacher Notes)
32 Discussion Task Cards (Lots of questions and scenarios you can use for great class discussions)
Kindness Sort and Key
Detailed Teacher Notes
Teacher Notes for Digital with LINKSI love including Character Education in my classroom and find it leads to better classroom behavior, while promoting a safe, accepting classroom atmosphere. Not only will you see the benefits in your classroom though, but you will also have the satisfaction of knowing that you are teaching to the heart, as well as to the head. Helping our students grow socially and emotionally can reap lifelong benefits.
Want to teach Character Education the entire year? SAVE MORE and GET MORE with the ENTIRE YEAR Character Education BUNDLE!!! (Click Here)
Why you’ll love this resource:
- These materials are a great addition to Morning Meetings.
- It comes in a print and digital format, which makes it perfect for classroom or homeschooling use!
- Students enjoy the social-emotional activities.
- No more guesswork! Everything is clearly organized and explained in the Teacher Notes.
- It may be used at any time during the year. For example, I like to start with Respect, do Kindness in October, Gratitude in November, and Giving in December.
- Directly teaching character traits makes a huge difference in the behavior of your students.
- You’ll notice an improved classroom climate as you use the units each month.
Also, while each character trait kit is a single license purchase, you might want to share this resource with your principal to see if he/she would like to get a school license at a discounted price (Simply purchase an additional license for each 2nd – 5th grade teacher. Kindergarten and first grade is free for a school-wide purchase because the resources are a little above their level for the most part). It is so much more powerful if the whole school is teaching the same character traits and especially if they are teaching them at the same time. I have used these materials for many years with my classes and feel confident that you’ll enjoy using them too.
If you’d like to read more about social-emotional learning, I wrote a few blog posts you might like:
Teaching Kindness in the Classroom
Incorporating Character Education in the Classroom
Thanks so very much!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Feel free to share this freebie with other teachers and homeschool parents, but please do not post it anywhere online without permission. Thanks for your understanding!