This Author’s Purpose Unit comes in print and digital (for Google Classroom and other top educational platforms) and includes 6 passages, 32 character task cards, a game, a foldable, graphic organizers, posters, and writing activities to keep your students fully engaged! This resource will provide your students with lots of practice identifying the author’s purpose using a variety of formats.
6 Passages with comprehension questions (3 are open-ended and 3 are multiple choice)
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
The Old Woman Who Lived in a Vinegar Bottle (English Folktale)
How the Chipmunk Got its Stripes
32 Task Cards
Record Sheet and Key
3 Graphic Organizers
5 Graphic Organizers for Author’s Purpose
Outlining Pages for Persuade, Inform, and Entertain Paragraphs
Writing Pages for Persuade, Inform, and Entertain Paragraphs
A PIE Foldable
A Concentration Game
Teacher Notes for Digital with LINKS
Why you’ll love this resource:
- It has lots of different types of formats, from passages to task cards, a foldable, posters, graphic organizers, a concentration game, and more!
- The unit comes in both print and in NO PREP digital. The digital task cards and the multiple-choice passages are self-grading.
- Your students will love the high-interest passages!
- The passages have a mix of open-ended and multiple-choice questions.
- The posters make a great visual reference for your students.
- There are writing activities included to reinforce the author’s purpose concept.
- It may be used in a number of ways from guided reading, to reader’s workshop, independent work, literacy centers, exit slips, homework, whole class games, test prep, and more!!!
Need Author’s Purpose for 3rd Grade? The units are similar except for the passages.
Author’s Purpose for 3rd Grade
Looking for other reading units?
Text Evidence Using Informational Text: 4th/5th Grade
Themes in Literature: 4th and 5th Grade
Inferences Using Literature: 4th and 5th Grade
Elements of Poetry, Drama, and Prose: 3rd – 5th Grade
Figurative Language: 4th and 5th Grade
Thanks so much!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.
This resource may only be placed on a password-protected website for your students, like Google Classroom™. It may not be placed anywhere else on the internet, on a class or school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: [email protected].